Sewer Backed Up?

Contact Information

If you experience a sewer problem; please call 378-6824. Backed up sewer lines, sewer main breaks, sewage odors and overflowing manholes are considered an emergency and a crew will be dispatched to the call.

What will the City do when called?

City crews will be dispatched to the call immediately. When the crew arrives on the site they will locate the sewer main and manholes that you are connected too. In some cases crews may be several blocks from your property. Crews will set up their equipment at a manhole and clean the City’s main even if the main appears to be cleared of a blockage. Once the crew has completed the cleaning they will then attempt to speak to the resident at the property or they will leave a tag. They will let the resident know if it was the City’s problem or if the problem is in the private sewer lateral.

If the problem is in the private sewer lateral, the homeowner or business is responsible for correcting the problem. The owner of the property is responsible for maintaining and cleaning the sewer lateral from the building (or home) to the City’s sewer main.

If the problem is in the sewer lateral, whom do you call for help?

Homeowners can try and clear the stop themselves. If you need help with this task you can call a plumber or a sewer/drain cleaning service. Check your Yellow Pages or Business White Pages. The City of Amarillo cannot make a recommendation. It may be in your best interest to obtain several estimates.

REMEMBER TO CALL THE CITY before calling a plumber if you believe the problem is related to the City’s main.