Open Records Act, also known as Public Information Act, gives the public right of access to government information. A person may ask to review the documents, obtain copies, or both. This only includes documents that are in existence when the request is made. It does not require the government body to create documents or do legal research.
The Act is triggered when a person submits a written request to the governmental body. The governmental body is to respond promptly to the request. “Promptly” means as soon as possible under the circumstances, within a reasonable time or without delay.
It is the requester’s responsibility to:
- Submit a written request.
- Include enough description and detail of requested information so the governmental body can accurately identify and locate the requested items.
- Cooperate with the governmental body’s reasonable request to clarify the type or amount of information requested.
- Respond promptly in writing to all written communications from the governmental body (including a written estimate of charges).
- Make a timely payment for valid charges.
- Keep all appointments for inspection of records or for pick-up of copies.
The Department will promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, either constitutional, statutory, or by judicial decision, or information for which an exception to disclosure has not been sought.
Although the Act makes most governmental information available to the public, some exceptions exist. If an exception might apply and the governmental body wishes to withhold the information, the governmental body will refer the matter to the Office of the Attorney General for a ruling. This process may take up to 45 working days or longer.
A form is provided for your convenience to submit your request in writing. You may also submit your request in writing to: Amarillo Police Department, Attn: Open Records, 200 SE 3rd St, Amarillo, Texas, 79101, by fax to (806) 378-9371, by e-mail to email@example.com, or in person.
If you have any questions you may contact the Service Division of the Amarillo Police Department at (806) 378-6169 or the Open Records Clerk at (806) 378-3579.
- Information of Basic Rights and Responsibilities Under the Act
- Open Records Request Form (PDF Format)
This site is for an Amarillo Police Department request. If your request for documents is not for Police Department records, please visit Open Records.