*If summonsed for jury duty, you are required to report for the date and time listed on your summons*
Cases heard by the Amarillo Municipal Court are Class C misdemeanor violations that have fine only penalties. Jurors for the Amarillo Municipal Court are selected at random from a list of voter registrations and a list of drivers licenses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does jury duty last?
Jury service is for one (1) day only.
How much are jurors paid?
Jurors are paid $6.00 per day.
Can I be excused from jury duty?
You may be excused from jury service if any one of the following apply:
- You are not at least 18 years of age.
- You are over 70 years of age.
- You have legal custody of a child under 12 years of age and jury service would leave the child without adequate supervision.
- You are a student in secondary school or college and will be in class on the day of jury service.
- You are the primary caretaker of a person who is unable to care for himself or herself. (Employment as a caregiver does not qualify.)
- You can show a physical or mental impairment or an inability to comprehend or to communicate in English.
- You are an employee of the legislative branch of the State of Texas.
- You have served more than five (5) days as a petit juror in county court during the last three (3) months, or in district court during the last six (6) months
- You are not a citizen of Texas and a resident within the city limits of Amarillo.
- You have been convicted of a felony or theft offense or are under indictment or other legal accusation for theft or any felony.
If you will be unable to be present for jury service and you do NOT fall within one of the categories above, you can send a letter stating why you are unable to appear or a doctors statement.
Should I mail back the Juror postcard?
Yes. Returning your juror card gives the Court an idea of how many jurors we will have for jury duty.
Any person summoned for jury service who fails to appear for or be excused from jury service may be fined $100 for contempt of Court.