A payment arrangement allows City of Amarillo utility customers the opportunity to pay off large bill balances to keep their utility account in good standing. With a payment arrangement, the balance is spread out over a specific period of time. This amount is called a monthly installment. Customers are required to pay the agreed-upon monthly installment, in addition to paying their monthly utility charges in full by the bill due date each month.
Payment Arrangement Terms:
- A customer who wants to begin a payment arrangement must complete a 12-month waiting period starting on the date that the customer’s most recent payment arrangement was completed. The length of the payment arrangement is based on the total amount of the past due balance.
- The following timeframes will be allowed for payment arrangements:
- If the past due balance is less than $100, then a payment arrangement will not be allowed.
- If the past due balance is between $100 and $500, then a payment arrangement can be made for up to 6 months
- If the past due balance is more than $500, then a payment arrangement can be made for up to 12 months
- A 10% down payment must be made on the past due balance before the payment plan begins.
- Payment arrangements must be agreed upon and signed. A payment arrangement cannot be made over the phone.
- If the customer cannot come to City Hall to make the payment arrangement, we will mail the Payment Arrangement contract to the customer, along with special remit envelopes for their payments to be mailed in. The payment arrangement will not start until the City receives the signed contract back from the customer.
- A customer is not eligible for a payment arrangement if:
- The customer has tampered with any water meter at the property subject to the payment arrangement.
- The customer has had any illegal water usage.
- The customer does not have an active water account with the City.
- The customer has had any returned payments for NSF within the last 6 months.
- The City of Amarillo has turned a delinquent utility account over to a debt collector.
- The total past due balance is less than $100.
- Failure to fulfill the payment agreement terms will result in meter lock or removal, and all amounts will be required to be paid in full, plus reconnection fees, prior to reconnection of services.