The Planning Department works to enhance the quality of life for City of Amarillo citizens by providing services which encourage quality growth, development and redevelopment. These efforts are focused throughout the city as well as in the extraterritorial jurisdiction, or ETJ. The department focuses on short and long range planning principles, land use requirements, development review practices, and transportation network planning principles.
Boards & Commissions
The Planning Department currently serves as the staff liaison for the following boards and commissions:
- Planning & Zoning Commission (P&Z)
- Downtown Design Review Board (DDRB)
- Board of Landmarks & Historic Review
- Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ) #1
The Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), also housed within the Planning Department, serves as the staff liaison to the following boards and commissions:
- MPO Policy Board
The Planning Department works primarily with these ordinances:
- Zoning Ordinance - addresses zoning districts, land use categories, building setbacks, parking requirements, and other related regulations.
- Subdivision Ordinance - addresses the creation or combination of lots within the City of Amarillo and the 5 mile extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ). Contains subdivision design standards, regulations related to public improvements and the use of right-of-way, requirements for preliminary plans, and other related regulations.
- Landscaping Ordinance - addresses minimum requirements for amount and location of landscaping for eligible projects.
- Landmarks and Historic Preservation Ordinance - details requirements for modifications to, or demolition of, historic structures.
- Airport Height Hazard (also known as Airport Clear Zone) - identifies where limitations for height and land use exist in proximity to the airport.